Note to Parents from the Director of Schools –
To continue supporting your children during the time we are apart, Murfreesboro City’s teachers have prepared optional activities for student learning.
Beginning after Spring Break, on Monday April 6, learning activities can be accessed via:
- Online: Activities for each grade level will be posted on your school’s webpage by 8:00 each Monday. The location will be on the right side of the webpage heading bar under your school’s initials and the word “Home.” For example, Black Fox parents will go to the Black Fox webpage and look for BF Home; Cason Lane parents will go to the CLA website and look for CLA Home, etc. There will be ongoing activities that can be done at any time. Also, there will be week-specific activities for individual schools and grade levels. So check the website each Monday for new grade-specific activities.
- Paper copies in crate at school: Each Monday by 8:00, a crate will be placed outside your school’s front door. Inside will be paper copies of what is posted online, arranged by grade level. As with the online access materials, there will be ongoing activities as well as week-specific activities. If all copies have been taken when you stop by, call the school’s office, and additional paper copies will be available the next day. The crates will remain in place Monday through Thursday.
- CHOW bus: Each Monday at lunch, volunteers will follow the CHOW buses and hand out copies of the online activities. If all copies have been distributed, the volunteers will take the student’s name and grade level and have copies available on Tuesday.
Beginning Monday, the 6th, under the Home to School heading, on the right side of the district website www.cityschools.net and on each school website, you will find a link to Resources for Families. These will include:
- Online websites/resources per content area
- Activities that can be done without a computer
- Weekly teacher read-alouds of books
- Access to the Internet–Comcast and Xfinity are offering free access for a period of time; after that period ends, there will be a cost associated with the service.
Also, beginning on the 6th, watch instruction via MCS teachers each day at 9:30 and 4:00 on CityTV or visit the City’s YouTube channel and click on the MCS playlist, MCS at Home. New instruction will be added on an ongoing basis. https://www.youtube.com/user/cityofmurfreesboro/playlists.
Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m, Teaching Tennessee will air on PBS. Tennessee teachers will provide a virtual classroom lesson on English Language Arts or Math for grades 1-8. Four hours of content will also be streamed overnight, which viewers can watch live or record.
Books are available at the Little Free Libraries that are located on each campus. In addition, books are being distributed by the SROs at CHOW bus locations.
The CHOW buses will continue to roll with free breakfasts and lunches to anyone 18 and under. Please check www.cityschools.net for the locations and times. Beginning on the 6th, we will be serving lunch and sending home the next morning’s breakfast each day.
Thank you for your support of this school district and for caring about your children. It is our goal to serve your children in the best way possible. You have our commitment to work with you to meet that goal.
Linda Arms Gilbert, Ed.D.
Director of Schools