Eligibility and Guidelines
To be accepted as a peer model, the following criteria must be met:
• Children must be 4 years of age, but not yet 5 by August 15, 2020. Children who are 5 on or before August 15, 2020 are eligible for kindergarten and are not appropriate for the integrated preschool class.
• Children must be completely toilet trained in order to be considered as a peer model.
• Children must speak clearly and be easily understood in order to model appropriate speech and language as a peer model.
• All peer models must score in the average range on the developmental screening conducted by our staff. Children are screened for age-appropriate developmental and school readiness skills. These screenings will take place Tuesday, March 3rd from 1:00-5:00 PM, Thursday, March 5th from 3:00 – 6:00 PM, and Saturday March 7th from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM.
After the completed application is turned in by the due date, it is mandatory that an appointment for screening be made through the Sign-up Genius website. A link will be emailed to you when the application is received. All screenings will take place at Northfield Elementary School. Your application MUST be submitted before you sign-up for a screening appointment.
Applications are due back to Northfield Elementary School – ATTN: Roxana Dove – by Friday February 21, 2020. Northfield Elementary School is located at 550 W Northfield Blvd. Murfreesboro, TN 37129 They may also be returned via email firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 615-898-7158 ATTN: Roxana Dove
Guidelines for the Preschool Program:
• Daily attendance is required.
• Parents must have their children at the program on time and pick them up at the designated time. Before and after school care are available for typical peer models.
• The Tennessee Health Record Form is required for all children documenting their immunization history. A copy of the child’s certified birth certificate is also required and will need to be presented at the time of enrollment.
• If at any time it becomes evident that this is not an appropriate setting for a child, the parent will be asked to remove him/her from the program.
• After the initial adjustment period, the child may be removed from the program if they demonstrate a pattern of inappropriate behaviors. Inappropriate behaviors may include the following, but not limited to:
Tantruming Screaming Excessive Crying Hitting
Pushing Throwing items
Verbal or physical aggression toward peers or adults
Non-compliance with adult directives
Derogatory language toward peers or adults
Refusal to interact with another child
Refusal to participate in required activities
Refusal to go to time-out without assistance
Inappropriate behaviors will be documented. If a pattern becomes evident, parents will be provided with documentation of these behaviors.
• There will be a $300.00/month cost for attendance as a peer model in the integrated preschool program to offset the costs throughout the year. The fee is due to the school by the 1th of each month. Also, the fee may be paid by semester or for the entire school year. The first fee is due at the time of enrollment.
• Additional costs for the program could include daily breakfast and lunch as well
as fees for special field trips and activities as they occur throughout the year.
If you would like to pursue having your child as a peer model, please complete the five page application and return to Roxana Dove at Northfield Elementary by Friday, February 21, 2020. If you have any questions, please contact Roxana Dove at 615–904-1015.
Your application will not receive first priority if the five-page application is not completed and returned by Friday, February 21st and your child does not participate in the screening as outlined above.