To Assure Academic and Personal Success For Each Child

School Nutrition

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What meals are served?
Murfreesboro City Schools serves breakfast and lunch daily. We also serve a snack or supper after school.

2. What is offered at meal time?
Breakfast – students must be offered all four required food items:
• One serving milk – 8 oz.
• One serving of 100% Fruit or Vegetable Juice/Fruit/Vegetable – 1⁄2 cup
• One serving of 100% Fruit or Vegetable Juice/Fruit/Vegetable – 1⁄2 cup
• One serving of Grains/Breads – 1 oz.

Lunch students must be offered all five required food items:
• One serving Meat/Meat Alternate – 1 oz.
• One serving Milk – 8oz.
• One serving Grain/Bread – 1 oz.
• One serving of Vegetables – 1⁄2 cup • One serving of Fruit – 1⁄2 cup

3. Must my child take all food items?
Murfreesboro City Schools is an Offer vs. Serve System with the exception of our Pre-K. Each student may choose to decline up to two items at lunch and one item at breakfast. However, they must take a fruit or vegetable serving at lunch.

4. Are food substitutions allowed?
We must serve the components listed above for the meal to be recognized as a reimbursable meal by the USDA. However, food substitutions will be made if your child has an IEP or 504. The required substitution must be listed in the IEP or 504 by the child’s doctor.

5. How can I put money into my child’s cafeteria account for meals or al a carte items?
There are several different ways to place money into your child’s account.
• Send a check or cash with your child in an envelope marked with your child’s name, teacher’s name and amount on it. However, we do not encourage sending cash with your child.

• You can stop by your child’s cafeteria to make a payment.
• The recommended way is paying online at You may obtain your child’s id number from the school cafeteria to setup his/her account.

Please remember when paying by check you must have your name, address, phone number and your child’s name on the check. Please send separate checks for each child.

6. What if my child does not have money in their account for al a carte items?
Murfreesboro City Schools cannot allow al a carte items to be charged.

7. How may I check on my child’s/children’s account balance?
• Once you obtain your child’s id number you can go to and view your child’s account at any time.
• You may call or visit your child’s cafeteria.
• You may call the Nutrition Department at 615-893-2313.

8. Who may I contact with questions or concerns?
You are welcome to contact your child’s cafeteria manager at your school, or the Murfreesboro City Schools Nutrition Department at 615-893-2313.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or

3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.