Murfreesboro City Schools (MCS) is pleased to offer Choice Distance Learning as options for our students and parents. The signed Choice Distance Learning parent agreement should be returned to your child’s school by July 31. Parents may download and print the document or pick up a paper copy of the agreement from your child’s school beginning July 20. The document must be signed and can be returned via mail, email or drop off at the school.
Choice Distance Learning –
Parents may choose for their child to attend full day classes at home utilizing the choice distance learning option.
This option will include 6½ hours of instruction delivered via Zoom, other on-line platforms and hard copy instruction.
Parents may reconsider schooling options at the end of a 9-week grading period. Parents should notify school two weeks prior to the end of the 9-week grading period if they wish to change to Traditional School instruction.
Choice Distance Learning students should have daily access to:
High speed internet connection.
Laptop or desktop computer access by parents/guardians.
(Exceptions may be made for students with significant health conditions with relevant documentation.)
· Students must stay in good standing with school in regard to absences and completion of assigned classwork.
· Students not following school policies will be reviewed for possible return to the traditional school day.
· Students will adhere to the schedule outlined in the Choice Distance Learning day.
· ESP is not available for students utilizing Choice Distance Learning
Overview of Choice Distance Learning Day:
School days will begin based on the school bell time.
15-minute Morning Meeting
1 hour of English Language Arts; followed by a 15-minute break
1 hour of Math; followed by a 15-minute break
1 hour of Social Studies and/or Science
30 minutes for lunch
45 minutes for Special Area; followed by a 15-minute break
45 minutes of computer assistant learning (Lexia, I-Ready)
1 hour teacher led small groups
Will your device work? Please see the Parent Technology Resources Home Access Sheet for guidance.
What type of laptop or tablet does my child need?
Your child will need access to a laptop, desktop, or Chromebook with full browser capabilities. This includes access to Firefox or Google Chrome. Unfortunately, we have discovered that iPads may not be compatible with some apps. To check to see if you have a compatible device, please visit the Parent Technology Resource Home Access Sheet on our website.
Murfreesboro City Schools uses a Google Chromebook 3100 Education with 16 GB.
Chromebook recommended minimum specifications:
- Processor: Intel Celeron N4020 (Dual Core, up to 2.8GHz, 4M Cache, 6W) 1USB Type-C, 1 USB 3.1
- Display: 11.6″ HD (1366 x 768) Anti-Glare Non-Touch, Camera & Microphone, WLAN Capable
- Memory: 4GB 2400MHz LPDDR4 Non-ECC
- Hard Drive (Storage): 16GB eMMC Hard Drive
Will MCS be providing a laptop for my child?
MCS does not currently have the technology resources to provide every student with a laptop. We ask parents who choose Choice Distance Learning and have access to a laptop or desktop to please provide a device for your child. However, a set number of computers will be loaned to students until our resources are depleted. Laptops will be loaned with the following priorities:
- 1st priority – Students with current Individual Health Plans (IHPs) with qualifying medical conditions such as Cystic Fibrosis and asthma.
- 2nd priority – Students who qualify for Direct Certification of Resources through State (WIC, SNAP, etc.)
- 3rd priority -Students who qualify for free and reduced meals.
- 4th priority – If there are remaining Chromebooks available after the first three priorities are fulfilled, a lottery will be held for the remaining laptops.
If you do not have the technology resources at home and are choosing Choice Distance Learning, you may apply for a Laptop on Loan through this link: Laptops on Loan
Laptops will be loaned based on the priorities outlined above. Choice Distance Learning Parent Agreements and the Laptops on Loan online application must be completed by July 31 to be considered for the Laptops on Loan program. Laptops will be assigned based on the priorities and parents will be notified during the week of August 3.